I missed EDC Las Vegas. Again. No worries,
- Marshmello trolls crowd by pretending to reveal himself but it’s actually Tiesto. I actually believed Tiesto was behind Marshmello’s identity for 10 seconds, then realized that I was being ludicrous.
- BassPOD Stage literally catches on fire because of a pyrotechnic device. Talk about pyro gone bad…and here I was thinking that the fire was part of the stage.
- Anna Lunoe and Alison Wonderland become the first solo female DJs to perform mainstage at EDC.
- Sad festival goers are turned away at the gate because of counterfeit wristbands. My heart broke for them. Moral of the story: don’t buy tickets from sources not to be trusted. Only ever buy tickets from the original ticket provider.
- Paris Blohm raving with the crowd even though he has performed at EDC before. He started out as a fan and he’ll never stop being a fan even with all his fame.
- Ravers showing their love and support after the tragic Orlando shooting and uniting together
- KSHMR’s set literally blows out the speakers during his set Saturday morning. Poor KSHMR, even a few minutes of silence cannot hold his fan base down. I would have stayed for the former ex-Catarac.
- No one died. That’s actually great news for a festival of this magnitude.
Maybe one day we will be headliners uniting under the electric sky. But for now, we’re just broke. Peace
Tiesto the troll:
BassPOD is lit:
Catch the sets here:
We all know that Miami Music Week in March kicks off the start of the long-awaited festival season. As a diehard raver, I hope to be able to attend MMW and Ultra Miami next year. For this year, I had to content myself with dancing in my apartment alone to the Ultra live stream on Twitch.
Here are some of the highlights in no particular order:
- MAKJ getting the crowd to chant “Fuck Trump” at Ultra Music Festival’s mainstage after seeing a raver’s sign proclaiming this opinion. Multiple DJs also talked politics, such as the Chainsmokers who talked about how they didn’t support Donald Trump. My personal opinion? Don’t talk politics at Ultra.
- Deadmau5 playing two sets because The Prodigy had to pull out last moment
- ASOT stage, so we could see Armin on mainstage as well as a separate set of him at the ASOT stage
- Hardwell’s new unreleased tracks, including his dabble into the hardstyle genre with his new song “Wake Up Call” which closed the night for Day 2. What are your opinions? Should Hardwell stick to progressive house and big room? Absolutely not, I’m in love.
- University of Miami student dying on Day 1 of Ultra, reasons currently unknown. When most people see headlines of people dying at raves, they always assume it’s a drug overdose and that’s when the heartless comments pour in. Regardless of the reason, a young life was lost and this causes for mourning and increased awareness. A weekend that they were probably looking forward to for the entire year led to the end of their life. Rest in peace.
- Apparently, Avicii borrowed a macbook charger from the crowd and it gets returned. I will never be able to verify this. But whoever lent their charger was possibly a hero.
- Dada Life leaves behind a 9 meter inflatable banana for the first person who finds it at a location in Miami. I wish I could have that champagne soaked banana. Wouldn’t they be surprised when I pulled that out at their next show where I arrived beautiful and left ugly?
Let’s not forget about all the new IDs and music that we heard. Below is a list of all of the DJ sets from Ultra thanks to a fan. The songs that you hear today may be released tomorrow, or maybe even two years later.
Ultra baby. Until next year.